Mga eksperto mula sa University of the Philippines ay nag rekomenda sa Gobyerno na kanselahin ang klase ngayong taon hanggang buwan ng Disyembre para humina ang pagkalat ng C0vid-19 sa bansa.
Ayon sa ulat ng GMA NEWS:
In a televised briefing on Tuesday, UP Resilience Institute executive director Mahar Lagmay said a model prepared by the UP COVID-19 Pandemic Response Team showed that social interaction is highest among people under the 0 to 19 age bracket (56%).
This was followed by people aged 20 to 39 (29%), 40 to 59 (13%) and 60 and above (2%).
“Base doon sa mga models, kapag walang klase hanggang December ay malaki po ang maibabawas natin sa transmission ng COVID-19,” Lagmay said.
The Philippines has so far recorded 6,599 COVID-19 cases, with 437 deaths and 654 recoveries.
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said President Rodrigo Duterte has no decision yet on UP’s suggestion.
“Malaki po ang maitutulong sa pagbagal ng pagkalat ng sakit kung isu-suspinde ang mga klase hanggang college level,” Roque said.
“Although meron din isang eksperto na nagsabi kagabi na ‘aalahanin po n’yo na kapag sinuspend n’yo ang klase wala ring medical students na maga-graduate’ sa panahon na kailangan din natin ng mga medical graduates, tsaka ‘yung mga nursing graduates.”
Education Secretary Leonor Briones said on Tuesday the 2020 academic year may start in August instead of June due to the threat of the virus, citing the prevailing sentiment by the sectors consulted by the department.
However, Briones said the recommendation of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) and the view of the President may influence when classes would open in the upcoming school year.