GOODNEWS: Birth Certicates Are No Longer Required For Passport Renewal

Applying for the renewal of passports is now easier since the submission of birth certificates is no longer required for passport renewals.

Base on DFA Department Order No.03-2019, which was signed in January 2019, birth certificates are no longer required for regular renewals, except for the following instances:

  • First-time passport applications
  • Renewal applications for lost or mutilated passports
  • Applicants in the DFA watchlist
  • Renewal applications of old brown and green passports bearing no complete middle name
  • Renewals requiring changes in personal information

That means adult individuals who are renewing their passports only need the following requirements:

  • Confirmed online appointment
  • Accomplished application form
  • Personal appearance
  • Current ePassport with a photocopy of the data page

For minors (below 18 years old), they would need the following requirements:

  • Confirmed online appointment (if applicable)
  • Accomplished application form
  • Personal appearance of minor applicant and either parent or authorized adult companion
  • Current ePassport with a photocopy of the data page
  • Marriage Certificate (if only one parent is accompanying the child)
  • Original and photocopy of proof of filiation or guardianship
  • Passport or valid government-issued ID of either parent with one photocopy
  • School ID (if applicable)

If you are applying for a passport for the first time, the DFA has also listed down valid identification cards that you can use, including their latest addition in August 2019: Postal IDs. This must be valid during the time of the passport application. Valid Postal IDs are those that were issued starting November 2016.

Here’s the full list of IDs that the DFA honors for passport applications:

  • SSS ID
  • UMID
  • Postal ID
  • Driver’s License
  • Student Permit (Card Format)
  • PRC ID
  • OWWA or iDOLE card
  • Voter’s certificate (with voting record, dry seal, and signed by an election officer)
  • Senior Citizen ID
  • PNP Firearms License
  • School iD (enrolled or fresh graduate)
  • Airman license (issued August 2016 onwards)
  • Voter’s ID
  • Valid ePassport (for renewals)
  • Residence Card (for applicants overseas)

The DFA reiterates that they will not accept the following IDs for passport applications: Tax Identification Number (TIN) card, Pag-IBIG, PhilHealth, Barangay ID, Police Clearance, Barangay Clearance, SSS E-1 Form, LTO Driver’s License receipt, paper-format Student Driver’s permit, and company ID. Further, the NBI Clearance is only a supporting document for certain cases.



  1. Edwardsep
  2. RonaldDef
  3. RonaldDef
  4. Pingback: cialis canada